Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Taking care of my sick hubby

I thought I'd share another recipe that we had for dinner tonight. Tyler has been feeling under the weather lately. I have to tell you that we have been together for 3 1/2 years and this is the FIRST time I have ever seen him sick. He has an incredible immune system. So, I asked him what he felt like for dinner (I had an early out from school today) he said he was craving tomato soup and grilled cheese.

My sick hubby loved it!
I decided that I didn't want to do just the bland Campbell's and so I spiced it up and made my own, way easy and SO MUCH BETTER. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Tyler's rating: A+++++

Tomato Basil Soup

  • 2 - 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 14.5 oz. can of chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 4 tablespoons of cream cheese
  • 1 small carton of whipping cream (or half and half)
  • Fresh basil leaves (about 10-15)
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
1. Put the cans of crushed tomatoes and chicken broth into your large pot.
2. Let boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
3. While your waiting, chop basil until fine.
4. Then add basil, sugar, zest in some of your garlic (it is strong so maybe start small and add more)
5. Add whipping cream, butter and cream cheese
6. Wait until that melts and it's ready to go.
 
I paired this with yummy grilled cheese. I just bought some big cheese bread sticks and cut then in half, added all our favorite cheeses (provolone, cheddar, feta, whatever we had) and then topped them with some cherry tomatoes (left overs for my past meal this week.)

Add a glass of wine and that's dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment