Monday, October 27, 2014

Picture Frame Transformation!

Last week I went to Goodwill to look for some things we needed for our Halloween costumes. While I was there I did some browsing and saw this picture frame for $1.99. I thought- SCORE! I can make something super cute out of this. I actually don't hate the gold frame, since gold is back in style again, but I wanted some turquoise to go with my kitchen/dining room decor. And these flowers don't exactly go with it… 



Turned over this beautiful work of art and took my scissors and cut around it! $34.99 originally.. hm..





After tearing off the paper, it had about 1 million staples keeping the picture in.. maybe not quite that many but it seemed that way.


Using a flat head screw driver and pliers I was able to easily get them off. 


Take out the glass and ugly picture and VOILA you have your base (like my feet in the picture?)


Put that beauty on some newspaper and get to spray painting! You may notice this color is the same color I used for my filing cabinet last week. You can read about it here. It is called Sea Foam and I purchased it at Wal-mart.


Give it a few coats until you think it looks covered. 


I purchased these adorable mini clothespins from Wal-Mart too ($2!) and spray painted them the same color! Super easy!


Next use a tape measure to measure out the distance between each of the wires, I did 4 1/2 inches, 9 inches, and 13 1/2 inches. It will depend on the size of frame you purchase and what types of pictures/art you want to display as well!


Get out your power drill and drill in the screws! :) I love using power tools.





Next get your beading wire, which I found in the jewelry making section at Wal-mart as well. It's just easy to find them at a place we have in town.


Tie the string on the screws. I wrapped it around a few times and then double knotted it. I'm not hanging super heavy things, so it worked well. 




Last step is to add your clothespins and pictures! I used Instagram magnets that were originally on our fridge. They are nice and thick so they won't bend over time. 




I absolutely LOVE how it turned out. I was going to put it up in our office but I love it so much I put it right in our kitchen. I can see Christmas light maybe hanging around it or display some small works of art from Lola. You really can do anything.

The total cost for this whole project is:

Frame: $1.99
Spray Paint: $4
Clothes Pins: $2
Wire: $1.50

Total: $10.49

You can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment