Monday, October 20, 2014

File Cabinet Makeover!


It's been a few weeks since I have done any projects so I thought i'd share a quick and easy makeover of my filing cabinet! I've been itching to do another project since I haven't done much with spray paint since my Little Tykes Playhouse Makeover which you can read about here. Spray paint is such an easy thing to do to spruce up something. 

Here is my before picture of my filing cabinet. I scored this for $15 on our local buy-sell-trade site. We needed something in our office to store our files (old taxes, etc) so I thought this size would be perfect for us right now. Of course it's the drab gray color that most come in. I picked up the spray paint at Wal-Mart. I just picked a bright color that looked fun. I don't really have a theme in our office/craft room. But I'm going to use this color as a starting point of getting some more decor up there. 


On another note - don't the trees in my backyard look so pretty! I love fall!










 This color is called Sea Foam. It actually almost exactly matches the 3 walls in Lola's room. I guess this color just calls to me.

First thing you will do is take apart all the drawers of the filing cabinet. My were simple enough to pull right out!


Next look at your hardware inside the drawers to figure out which tool you will need to take out the handles. I had originally thought I might have to tape around it but they were super simple to take off - so less taping is better for me!


Love my pink screw driver??


 Ready to paint!

I purchased 2 can of spray paint, because after doing my other make overs I know that one can does not go very far, and I HATE to run out of paint in the middle of a project. Here is a picture after two coats. 


In total, I did about 4 coats of paint. After painting the large piece I would paint doors and then alternate. It dried super quick and it was a little windy which helps speed up the drying process.

I only painted the front of my drawers, because that's really all you see! 


Here is the finished product!

 I purchased the pen holders from Target a few years ago because I like the color and they matched perfectly (not on purpose!)




Here is a before and after!


I was able to complete this in one day during Lola's nap time. I thinking of adding some white vinyl designs from my Cricut so I will have to update when  I find something I like. 



No comments:

Post a Comment